MTR combines traceroute and ping in a single network diagnostic tool. It is a useful network troubleshooting tool which investigates the network connection between the host in which it runs and a destination host specified by user.
The MTR will show you a list of routers traversed and the average round trip time and packet loss.
- Host name: host which you will want to use to diagnostic test
- DNS loockup: determines if host names should be looked up in DNS
- Loss% – shows the percentage of packet loss at each hop
- Snt – shows the number of packets sent
- Rcv – shows the number of packages received;
- Last – shows the latency of the last packet sent
- Avg – shows you the average response time of the ping attempts.
- Best – shows the best (shortest) ping response time out of all the attempts.
- Wrst – shows the worst (longest) response time of all the ping attempts.
- StDev – shows the standard deviation of the latencies to each host